Counseling, Advisement & Orientation
Counseling Center services are provided to enrolled students who are in need of additional assistance regarding course selection, major selection, and transfer information and planning. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor during their first semester of enrollment to develop a Mountie Academic Plan. The Mountie Academic Plan lists the courses needed to complete a specific major, as well as identifying graduation and/or transfer requirements in general education.
Students who are undecided about their major and/or career and educational goals, should make an appointment with a counselor. Career counseling services are available to students at no cost, to assist students in making the most appropriate choices about their future.
The goal of the Student Success and Support Program is to increase student access and success by providing core SSSP services, including (1) orientation, (2) assessment and placement, and (3) counseling, advising and other education planning services with the goal and declared course of study.
Exemptions from Student Success and Support Program
As part of the matriculation process, all services listed above are provided by the college. Students may choose to request to be exempt from the required services. If you are requesting an exemption, please identify the basis for your request based on the criteria below.
A student is exempt from assessment, orientation, and counseling, advising, or education plan development if the student has:
- graduated with an Associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution. Must provide a copy of transcripts as documentation of degree attainment.
- enrolled at the college for a reason other than career development or advancement, transfer, attainment of a degree or certificate of achievement, or completion of a basic skills or English as a Second Language course sequence.
- completed these services at another community college within a time period identified by the district.
- enrolled at Mt. SAC solely to take a course that is legally mandated for employment as defined in section 55000 or necessary in response to a significant change in industry or licensure standings.
- enrolled as a special admit student pursuant to Education Code section 76001.
Orientation – Credit Students
Orientation is required for all new students who are enrolling in Mt. San Antonio College. Orientation includes information regarding college programs, services, procedures, student responsibilities, and other related information.
The College has determined the importance of an orientation to college as a factor in success. Prospective students are urged to make an appointment for orientation immediately after filing an application and taking the necessary placement tests.
Visit New Student Orientation.