Certificate of Completion
Tutor Training certificate emphasizes tutoring strategies, learning styles, problem-solving, and best practices for working with a diverse student population.
Program Learning Outcomes
The goal of the Tutor Training Certificate is to prepare tutors to work effectively with a diverse group of learners. Tutoring strategies, learning styles, problem solving, and best practices for working with a diverse student population will be emphasized. Upon completion of the Tutor Training Certificate, students will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Identify tutor’s and tutee’s responsibilities.
- Identify adult learning theories and tutoring strategies.
- Develop various skills to promote active, independent learning.
- Develop and establish a protocol for tutoring sessions.
- Compare and contrast tutoring styles and techniques.
- Identify problematic areas for the tutor.
- Explore tutor’s role in varied settings such as one-on-one or in groups.
- Identify and address tutor's personal biases to promote an equitable learning environment based on understanding, acceptance, and respect.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.
|Course Prefix||Course Name||Units|
|Introduction to Tutoring|
|Choose one of the following courses:|
|Tutoring in the English Language|
|Tutoring - Supplemental Instructor|
|Tutoring in Mathematics|
|Tutoring in Reading|
Continuing Education classes, also known as “Noncredit,” are financially supported by the state of California and are offered tuition-free. Noncredit classes are designed to provide students with a high-quality learning experience with the opportunity to gain new skills and embark on new career pathways. Noncredit programs at Mt. SAC include Adult Basic Education (ABE), Education for Older Adults (EOA), English as a Second Language (ESL), Short-Term Vocational (STV), Vocational Re-Entry (VRE), and IMPACT/Adults with Disabilities (AWD). Below are certificate opportunities in the STV and VRE programs.
|VOC TR10A||Introduction to Tutoring 0||0|