Fire Technology (Certificate N0486)
Technology and Health Division
The Fire Science Certificate has been developed to offer pre-employment education for the undergraduate who desires to enter the field of fire science. It also provides the employed firefighter an opportunity for a professional education. Students intending to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree (transfer program) should consult with a counselor or advisor to discuss transferability of courses.
|Course Prefix||Course Name||Units|
|FIRE 1||Fire Protection Organization||3|
|FIRE 2||Fire Prevention Technology||3|
|FIRE 3||Fire Protection Equipment and Systems||3|
|FIRE 4||Building Construction for Fire Protection||3|
|FIRE 5||Fire Behavior and Combustion||3|
|FIRE 13||Principles of Fire and Emergency Services Safety and Survival||3|
|Choose two courses from the following:||5.5-19|
|Fire Fighting Tactics and Strategy|
|Fire Company Organization and Management|
|Arson and Fire Investigation|
|Fire Apparatus and Equipment|
|Wildland Fire Control|
|Basic Fire Academy|
|Physical Training for the Basic Fire Academy|
The Fire Technology program is a Regionally Accredited Training Program (ARTP). The Office of the State Fire Marshall (OSFM) has a responsibility for accreditation of ARTP's throughout the State of California. An ARTP shall provide the following delivery components:
1. California Fire Service Training and Education System (CFSTES)
2. California Fire Service Training and Education Program (FSTEP)
3. Fire Incident Command Certification System (CICCS)
4. California Community College Chancellor's Office Standard Fire Technology Degree Core Program
Office of the State Fire Marshall
1131 S. Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Define fire department organization, culture, and methods of communication of entry level fire department personnel.
- Analyze and assess firefighter hazards, and demonstrate safe practices by using minimum standard safety procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fire prevention efforts and a resulting reduction of life and property loss.
- Demonstrate knowledge of strategy and tactics required for the proper selection and safe use of firefighting methods, techniques, tools, and equipment.
- Identify fire chemistry and behavior for the purpose of predicting fire dynamics and flame spread characteristics.
- Identify components of built-in and portable fire protections systems and alarm and notification devises.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the 5 basic types of construction. Identify the components and hazards related to each type.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Leadership and Management concepts as they relate to emergency and non-emergency situations.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.
Looking for guidance? A counselor can help.This Guided Pathways for Success (GPS) is a suggested sequence of coursework needed for program completion. It is not an official educational plan. Schedule an appointment with a counselor or advisor as soon as possible to create an individualized Mountie Academic Plan (MAP) specific to your goals and needs.
|Fall Term 1||Units|
|FIRE 1||Fire Protection Organization 3||3|
|FIRE 2||Fire Prevention Technology 3||3|
|KINF 51A||Agility Test Preparation Law and Fire - Beginning 1||1|
|Winter Term 1|
|EMT course see notes section EMT course see notes section|
|Spring Term 1|
|FIRE 3||Fire Protection Equipment and Systems 3||3|
|FIRE 4||Building Construction for Fire Protection 3||3|
|FIRE 5||Fire Behavior and Combustion 3||3|
|KINF 51B||Agility Test Preparation Law and Fire - Intermediate 1||1|
|Summer Term 1|
|FIRE 13||Principles of Fire and Emergency Services Safety and Survival 3||3|
|KINF 52A||Fitness and Conditioning for Law and Fire - Beginning 1||1|
|Fall Term 2|
|FIRE 86||Basic Fire Academy 14.5||14.5|
|KINF 53||Physical Training for the Basic Fire Academy 2.5||2.5|
|Alternate FIRE courses if FIRE 86-Academy 6|
|FIRE 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 2|
|Certificate: Fire Technology N0486 6|
|Submit petition to Admissions Records Submit petition to Admissions Records|