Financial Aid

Student Services Center, (909) 274-4450

Financial Aid website

Financial aid is available for students to assist with the costs associated with attending college. Although the primary responsibility for meeting college costs rests with the student and his or her family, it is recognized that many families have limited resources and are unable to meet the cost of a college education. Most financial aid programs were established to provide assistance for students with documented financial need.

The College provides financial assistance in the form of grants, loans, scholarships, and part-time employment for students who meet financial aid program eligibility requirements. Student financial aid awards are contingent upon continued funding from Federal and State government agencies. Students eligible for financial aid typically receive a “package” of aid from one or more financial aid programs offered.

The Financial Aid Office, located on the upper level of the Student Services Center building, administers aid programs for eligible applicants. Eligibility criteria for financial aid programs are subject to frequent change. Students may apply for aid by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. A FAFSA worksheet is available in the Financial Aid Office for students interested in filing online at

The information reported on the FAFSA may be verified by the Financial Aid Office using a parent’s and/or student’s federal income tax information. Other documents may also be requested such as a copy of the Social Security card, Alien Registration card (if applicable) or other types of documents needed to verify or resolve conflicting data.

Recipients of aid from Federal and State funded programs must be students enrolled in eligible programs of study for the purpose of obtaining a degree, an approved Title IV certificate, or transfer. In addition to financial need, other eligibility requirements for most Federal and State programs include:

  1. Having a high school diploma or equivalent such as a GED.
  2. Being a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  3. Maintaining satisfactory progress in accordance with the standards.
  4. Not be in default on a federal loan or owe a grant overpayment.
  5. Be registered with the selective service, if required.

To be considered for financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year. This application is available beginning in January for the following academic year. If a student is interested in a State of California Grant, the FAFSA and Cal Grant GPA verification form must be completed. The Cal Grant program deadline is March 2nd of each year. For students who miss this deadline, there is a second opportunity for community college students to apply for Cal Grants. The second deadline is September 2nd. Additional information and eligibility requirements are available at

The FAFSA is the application for the following Federal and State programs:

  • Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW)
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)
  • Need-based scholarships
  • State Cal Grants
  • Chafee Grant (for Foster youth)
  • Federal William D. Ford Direct Loan Program

Students who receive federal financial aid and do not attend any classes will be required to repay all of the funds they have received. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60% of the semester are subject to return of Title IV funds requirements, will have financial aid eligibility recalculated based on the percentage of the semester completed, and will be required to repay any unearned financial aid received. At Mt. SAC a student’s withdrawal date is determined as follows:

  1. the date the student officially notified the Admissions and Records Office of his or her intent to withdraw, or
  2. the midpoint of the semester for a student who leaves without notifying the college, or
  3. the student’s last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity, or
  4. the date posted by the instructor indicating last day of attendance.

Board of Governor's Fee Waiver (BOG)

The California Community College Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) program is available to qualified California residents. Only the enrollment fee is waived, and the student is responsible for paying the additional fees assessed. There are three methods to qualify for a Board of Governors Fee Waiver: (1) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or General Relief recipient, or (2) Household size/family income, or (3) Financial need as determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition to the three methods, there are special classifications that qualify for an enrollment fee waiver, which is subject to certification and/or documentation. Refer to the BOGW Fee Waiver application for a list of these classifications. To apply, go to

Whether you want to move into a career or move on to a four-year university, California community colleges want to help you achieve your educational goals. The Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver is available for eligible students at California community colleges, and will waive your per unit enrollment fee at any community college throughout the state.

Once you’ve qualified for the BOG Fee Waiver, it’s important to ensure that you’re meeting the academic and progress standards in order to avoid losing the fee waiver.

  • Academic — Sustain a GPA of 2.0 or higher

If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/winter/spring quarters), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

  • Progress — Complete more than 50% of your coursework

If the cumulative number of units you complete is not more than 50% in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/winter/spring quarters), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

  • Combination of Academic and Progress Standards

Any combination of two consecutive terms of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative unit completion of not more than 50% may result in loss of fee waiver eligibility.

For further information regarding notification and appeal, please go to resources on the Mt. SAC Financial Aid web page

In addition, the college administers a variety of scholarship programs. Information about the College Scholarship Program can be obtained in the Financial Aid Office (Scholarships).

Print Options