This program is designed to prepare the student for employment in the field of photography. A variety of career opportunities are available in photography, art, cinema, communications, industrial arts, graphics, and journalism. Student desiring a bachelor’s degree should consult with an advisor or catalog of the institution they wish to attend regarding transferability of courses.
This degree requires the completion of General Education coursework plus the following:
|Choose one from the following:||1|
|Laboratory Studies: Beginning Black and White Photography|
|Laboratory Studies: Advanced Black and White Photography|
|Laboratory Studies: Studio Photography|
|Laboratory Studies: Computer Applications in Photography|
|Plus the following courses:|
|PHOT 9||Digital Image Editing for Photographers||3|
|PHOT 10||Basic Digital and Film Photography||3|
|PHOT 11A||Intermediate Photography||3|
|PHOT 11B||Digital Capture Workflow||3|
|PHOT 14||Commercial Lighting||3|
|PHOT 15||History of Photography||3|
|PHOT 20||Color Photography||3|
|PHOT 28||Photography Portfolio Development||3|
|PHOT 29||Studio Business Practices for Commercial Artists||3|
|PHOT 12||Photographic Alternatives||3|
|or PHOT 16||Fashion and Editorial Portrait Photography|
|or PHOT 18||Portraiture and Wedding Photography|
|PHOT 24||Advanced Digital Image Editing for Photographers||3|
|or PHOT 26||Video for Photographers|
|or PHOT 30||Advertising Photography|
|AHIS 1||Understanding the Visual Arts||3|
|or ARTB 1||Understanding the Visual Arts|
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Use critical thinking skills and be able to analyze and assess photographic situations, solve technical problems, and overcome creative challenges as they arise in the production of high quality still and motion imagery for professional, editorial, commercial or fine art applications.
- Design and construct still and motion imagery that can communicate ideas or narratives effectively for commercial, editorial, or fine art purposes.
- Have the knowledge and skills pertinent to the operation of a freelance photography business and sound business practices in the trade.
- Usefully participate in the collaborative environment of commercial art fields.
- Analyze, discuss, and critique the various technical, aesthetic, conceptual, historical and cultural aspects of a photograph.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.