Dance Teacher Skills Certificate
The Dance Teacher Certificate is intended to prepare students for careers as dance instructors in private dance studios, recreation centers and K-12 dance programs. Focus is on the genres of Ballet, Jazz and Modern Dance with pedagogical principles that can be applied to other dance forms. This certificate may aid the student’s search for an entry-level job in the dance teaching world.
|Course Prefix||Course Name||Units|
|DNCE 2B||Ballet II||0.5|
|DNCE 12B||Modern II||0.5|
|DNCE 14B||Jazz II||0.5|
|DNCE 24||Dance Production||1|
|DNCE 39||Pilates Fundamentals||0.5-1|
|DN-T 20||History and Appreciation of Dance||3|
|DN-T 38||Dance Teaching Methods||3|
|KIN 24||Applied Kinesiology||2|
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, a students will be able to:
- Teach creative and technical dance skills using correct body alignment, muscle coordination and dance terminology of various dance genres.
- Present a comprehensive job portfolio that includes a cover letter, resume, sample lesson plans, teaching analogies and a reel of choreography.
- Develop an articulate, original choreographic voice by expressing themselves creatively through the production of dance composition and performance.
- Attain an intermediate level of proficiency in contemporary dance techniques.
- Acquire a broad understanding and appreciation of historical and cultural values expressed through dance.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.