Computer and Networking Technology - Level I
Technology and Health Division
The Computer and Networking Technology Level I and II certificate programs prepare students to become computer and networking service technicians. Courses required for the Level I certificate provide foundations in basic electricity and electronics, operating systems, computer service and troubleshooting, and preparation for the A+ certification examination sponsored by CompTIA and offered at testing centers throughout the country. Level I certificate students learn to install, configure, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair computers and networks. With further preparation leading to the Level II certificate, students will ready themselves for the CompTIA Network+, Server+, and Security+ certification tests. These industry certifications are recognized worldwide as benchmarks for the computer and networking technician. Further, students will have requisite skills upon which to seek additional I.T. certifications available for the computer and networking fields.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of fundamental electronics principles, including voltage, current, and signal levels, to the analysis and troubleshooting of computers and data-communications networks.
- Apply knowledge of computers and their components to the development and implementation of interconnected systems of computers.
- Apply knowledge of computer technology, with an emphasis on hardware, to the development and deployment of complete computer networks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the physical and logical characteristics needed to support and secure network and server environments.
- Function effectively as a member of a technical team including documenting work, writing clearly and appropriately in an Information Technology context, respecting user data, and considering the ethical consequences of decisions.
- Articulate knowledge of the CompTIA certification processes, including potential exam content, philosophy, and test taking and study strategies.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.
|CNET 50||PC Servicing||4|
|CNET 52||PC Operating Systems||4|
|CNET 54||PC Troubleshooting||4|
|CNET 60||A+ Certification Preparation||2|
|ELEC 11||Technical Applications in Microcomputers||3-3.5|
|or CISB 15||Microcomputer Applications|
|ELEC 50A||Electronic Circuits - Direct Current (DC)||4|
|ELEC 50B||Electronic Circuits (AC)||4|
|ELEC 56||Digital Electronics||4|