Definition of Educational Records

Educational records consist of those files maintained by the following offices: Admissions and Records, Counseling, Assessment, Financial Aid, and those files maintained for individual students by departments.

Challenge of Educational Records

  1. Any student may file a written request with the Records Officer of the District (Dean, Enrollment Management) to remove information recorded in the student’s records which is alleged to be: 1) inaccurate; 2) an unsubstantiated personal conclusion or inference; 3) a conclusion or inference outside of the observer’s area of competence; or 4) not based on the personal observation of the named person with the time and place of the observation of the named person with the time and place of the observation noted.
  2. If the student is not satisfied with the determination made by the Dean, Enrollment Management, the student may utilize the existing college student grievance process. (AP 5045)

Academic Renewal

The Academic Renewal Policy is provided for students in specific circumstances where previously recorded substandard academic performance is not reflective of the student’s present demonstrated ability. Academic renewal applies only to substandard coursework completed at Mt. SAC. Students with substandard coursework at other colleges/universities need to contact those institutions to see if they are eligible for academic renewal under the provisions of academic renewal of said institution.

  1. A maximum of twenty-four units may be alleviated.
  2. Since completion of the work to be disregarded, the student’s cumulative grade point average for all units completed at the time of adjustment must be at least 3.0 for 18 semester units, 2.5 for 24 semester units, or 2.0 for 30 units. The cumulative grade point average may include coursework completed at Mt. San Antonio College and/or other accredited colleges or universities. Courses used to qualify for Academic Renewal which were completed at another college or university must be verified by official college transcripts.
  3. A time period of at least two years must have elapsed since the end of the term of substandard work to be disregarded.
  4. Academic renewal will apply only to substandard grades: D, F, and NP.
  5. The permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history.
  6. Mt. San Antonio College does not guarantee that academic renewal will be honored by institutions outside of the District. This determination will be made by the transfer institution.
  7. Students requesting academic renewal should meet with a counselor to file a petition. (BP 4240, AP 4240)


Official transcripts of work completed at Mt. San Antonio College may be ordered online through MyPortal student portal. The first two requests for transcripts are free; subsequent standard transcript requests are $5.00 each. Unofficial/student copies of transcripts may be obtained at MyPortal (AP 5040)

Further information regarding transcript services is available at Records and Graduation

Print Options