- President’s List - The President’s List is an honors list comprised of those students who have achieved a 3.50 or better grade point average in a minimum of twelve (12) letter-graded Associate Degree applicable units per semester at Mt. San Antonio College.
- Dean’s List - The Dean’s List is an honors list comprised of those students who have achieved between a 3.0 to 3.49 grade point average in a minimum of twelve (12) letter-graded Associate Degree applicable units per semester at Mt. San Antonio College.
- Academic Distinction - The “Academic Distinction Honor” designation is placed on the transcript and degree of the graduate who has achieved an overall grade point average (GPA) of 4.00.
- Scholastic Honor - The “Scholastic Honor” designation is placed on the transcript of the graduate who has achieved an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.90 through 3.99.
- With Honors - The “With Honors” designation is placed on the transcripts and degree of the graduate who has achieved an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.75 through 3.89.
Building 26A-1680, (909) 274-4528
Mt. San Antonio College offers an Honors Program for students who have demonstrated academic excellence. Honors courses are specially designed sections of transferable courses and, with a few exceptions, are part of the IGETC requirement list.
Completion of the Honors Program makes a student eligible for priority admission consideration from the following universities: UCLA, UC Irvine, Chapman University, Pitzer College and Pomona College. In addition to an enhanced curriculum for motivated students, Honors Program students receive library privileges at UC Irvine and UCLA and an Honors Certificate and medal upon honors certification.
- High School Students — Eligibility for ENGL 1A; 3.5 GPA; letter of recommendation; short essay
- Mt. San Antonio College Students — Nine transferable units; Eligibility for ENGL 1A; 3.2 GPA, short essay, letter of recommendation (Waivers can be obtained through the Honors Program Office for highly motivated students with a competitive GPA, an in-progress grade report and professor recommendation.)
Requirements for “Honors Scholar” Designation
- Complete 15 units of honors courses with a minimum 3.2 GPA for honors certification
- Maintain a 3.2 GPA
Mt. San Antonio College sponsors the Zeta Chapter of Alpha Gamma Sigma, the scholastic honorary organization for California Community Colleges. Full-time and part-time students are eligible for membership. Membership requires campus and community involvement (service hours).
There are three categories of membership eligibility. Only degree appropriate courses/units (those that grant credit for an Associate or Bachelor’s degree) may be used to establish eligibility for membership (Exception: Temporary Membership).
- Temporary: (First college semester only) Must hold a California Scholastic Federation (CSF) Life Membership OR be a high school graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher. This membership is intended as an introduction to Alpha Gamma Sigma and is not to be considered as an initial membership.
- Initial: (First time membership) Must have completed 12 degree appropriate units in a maximum of three (3) semesters with a degree appropriate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Continuing: (Previous membership) Must have achieved for the previous semester a degree appropriate grade point average of 3.0 or higher OR have maintained a degree appropriate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
Permanent membership in Alpha Gamma Sigma is an honorary lifetime AGS title for students who have completed 60 degree appropriate units; a minimum of 30 of the total 60 units must have been completed at Mt. SAC. A permanent membership application must be submitted by the graduation petition deadline. To apply students must: a) have a cumulative G.P.A of 3.25 or higher for 60 completed degree appropriate units and, b) complete a minimum of two semesters as an active or inactive member. Only permanent members receive recognition at graduation. Scholarships provided by the Zeta Chapter and the State Alpha Gamma Sigma Organization are available to actively involved members. Some baccalaureate granting institutions provide scholarships limited to Alpha Gamma Sigma members. Applications are available in Student Life, Building 9C. For further information and review of academic eligibility, students should consult an Alpha Gamma Sigma Officer or an Alpha Gamma Sigma Advisor.
Mt. SAC sponsors the Alpha Omega Alpha Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, an international scholastic honorary organization for two-year colleges. Eligibility for membership is established for the following:
- Full and part-time students who have completed 12 appropriate degree units with a 3.5 grade point average at an accredited institution.
- Students who have maintained a 3.5 grade point average while a member.
There are several advantages which accompany this honor, including recognition at graduation and access to scholarships offered to members by more than 700 U.S. colleges and universities. For further information and review of academic eligibility, students should consult a Counselor or a Phi Theta Kappa advisor. Applications are available in the Honors Program office in Building 26A-1680.